Officially called into creation as an official position on 12-35-2, the Chancellor serves as the Republic's High Judge, this position has a list of rules determining when cases go to the Chancellor, what the punishments should be, etc., as detailed below:
The Chancellor Will
- ...Be re-elected annually in line with previously determined election periods.
- ...Determine punishments based on established precedents
- ...Work with the Grand Council to set new precedents -- This shall mean that the Grand Council shall determine the correct punishment in situations where there is no similar case
- ...By default, preside over all cases brought before them as both jury and judge, unless otherwise requested by the accused.
- ...Honor any request by defendants to be trialed by a Court of Peers unless otherwise restricted by direction of the Grand Council.
- ...Honor requests by the Grand Council for the accused to be trialed with a specific set of individuals acting as the Jury.
- ...Handle management of the Court of Peers, ensuring it is managed in accordance with guidelines below.
- ...Preside over any cases involving multiple Assembly Realms
- ...Preside over any cases in which the accused is a member of the Grand Council, the Imperator, or the Praesul.
- ...Preside over any cases in a single Assembly Realm if the Grand Councillor(s) of that Assembly Realm request they do so.
- ...Preside over any cases involving a foreign realm if directed to by the Grand Council as part of inter-realm relations.
- ...Honor requests by the accused to have a case re-examined by the Chancellor in light of new evidence before a verdict has been carried out.
- ...Honor requests by the accused to have a case re-examined by the Grand Council if the accused does not find the verdict to be fair/just/etc..
- ...Abide by Grand Council decision to resign their office if determined by the Grand Council to be abusing their position.
- ...Seek direction from the Grand Council on any situations in which they are uncertain how to proceed with their duties.
- ...If the accused, be trialed by a Court of Peers.
The Chancellor Will Not
- ...Also be the Praesul or the Imperator
- ...Preside over a case in which they are also the accuser and/or they are seeking reparations for damages done.
The Court of Peers
- For the Imperator, Praesul, Chancellor, & Grand Councillors: The Praesul, Imperator, Chancellor, and Grand Council, excluding the accused, shall make up the Court of Peers.
- For Knights & Lords: Knights & Lords of the Republic, excluding the accused, shall make up the Court of Peers
- For Barons & Counts: Barons & Counts of the Republic, excluding the accused, shall make up the Court of Peers
- For Marcher Lords & Dukes: Marcher Lords & Dukes of the Republic, excluding the accused, shall make up the Court of Peers
- For Princes & Kings: Princes & Kings of the Republic, excluding the accused, shall make up the Court of Peers